The Fallacies Of Musicians/Artists Claiming They Won't Work For Free

(See referenced photos below)

I see things like this being posted around, but I can't agree... as musicians, we aren't ENTITLED to people's money just because we create. It's up to us to create demand for our product by making it top-notch, and thus make people want to pay for it. 

Referencing the Vince Gill photo... If we charged, say, $5 for a single, we would never sell any. I think the bigger crime here is that the fart app costs anything at all, not that the single sells for $.99. We are each a business unto ourself, and can charge what we like. If Vince Gill wants to sell his records for $20 a piece, then more power to him. 

This is along the same lines as those musicians and artists complaining about places offering opportunities that don't pay anything. There's a simple solution, don't take the gig. A hotel offered a gig that paid $10 a night. I didn't take it. However there was a time when I was 19-20 that I would have absolutely taken it for the exposure! There is an abundance of talent, and a much smaller amount of space for certain artists to be ultra-successful and thrive. I'm willing to give music away for free, sacrifice my time, whatever it takes to BREAK THROUGH. And THAT'S when the money starts flowing.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Views

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author